Sunday, June 22, 2008

5 Star Foodie on the Road: NYC ice cream

Being New York born and bred (save your scorn for later), whenever I go home, the first place I go to is the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory.



To understand this place, you only need to look at the list of flavors. Focus on the "regular flavors". Chances are that you're not going to find almond cookie or durian or pandan at your local ice cream shop. Here's the thing: the flavors aren't just exotic, but they're really tasty. Lychee has a mild almost melony flavor.

On a recent visit, I had 1/2 scoop almond cookie and 1/2 scoop black sesame.






The almond cookie (the yellowish mass on the left) has finely chopped or smashed tiny bits of cookie in it and has a definite almond flavor to it. It's very creamy and smooth. And addictive.

Meanwhile, the black sesame (the darker mass on the right) is even creamier. When you bite into it, it has a flavor similar to peanut butter. Still, it's smooth and extremely tasty.

You can get cones or cups. They sell merchandise as well (my t-shirt with the dragon eating ice cream logo always draws comments).

While it's often crowded, usually you'll be served within 5 minutes. There's nowhere to sit, but that's fine. It's in the middle of Chinatown and you can walk and eat.

The one thing I beg of you if you go, dear reader: even though I'm sure it's very good, PLEASE PLEASE don't order vanilla or chocolate.

1 comment:

Fat Chick said...

Black sesame is my favorite flavor. I make it at home!